Research Scientist, Post-training Core Model
About the Team
The Post-Training - Core Model team evaluates and improves the capability of the models that power ChatGPT and the OpenAI API.
About the Role
As a Member of Technical Staff on our team, you will research and develop improvements to our models through human data collection, synthetic data studies, supervised fine-tuning, reward modeling, and evaluations.
We’re looking for people who have past scientific experience, are proficient software engineers, and have experience in reinforcement learning or reinforcement learning with human feedback (RLHF) research.
This role is based in San Francisco, CA. We use a hybrid work model of 3 days in the office per week and offer relocation assistance to new employees.
In this role, you will:
- Design, validate, and improve evaluations
- Conduct human data campaigns closely informed by development of new RLHF algorithms
- Conduct and present on machine learning experiments
- Prototype new ideas and algorithms
- Launch your innovations into ChatGPT and the API
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Are a careful scientist and a strong software engineer who wants research with real-world impact
- Aren’t scared of the messiness of handling real-world data
- Can navigate complicated code bases
- Are an effective collaborator and can communicate technical work clearly
- Can iterate quickly on lots of ideas and algorithms
- Love being on the cutting edge of RL and language model research
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 50% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
For US Based Candidates: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.