EU Member States Policy & Partnerships Lead, Global Affairs
About the Team
OpenAI’s mission is to ensure that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We believe that achieving our goal requires effective engagement with public policy stakeholders and the broader community impacted by AI. Accordingly, our Global Affairs team builds authentic, collaborative relationships with public officials and the broader AI policymaking community to inform and support our shared work in these domains. We ensure that insights from policymakers inform our work and - in collaboration with our colleagues and external stakeholders - seek to further regulation, industry standards, and safe and beneficial development of AI tools.
About the Role
As the Ireland Policy and Partnerships Lead, you will develop strategies and lead OpenAI’s public policy engagement in Ireland and with other EU Member States. You will also develop and manage relationships with key international partners, including civil society groups, researchers and experts, seeking to advance partnerships that align with OpenAI’s mission.
OpenAI releases industry-leading research and tools. You will face new challenges as the impact of cutting edge generative AI technologies continues to be explored and as the needs of the organization evolve. Day-to-day work may encompass anything from helping to shape strategic initiatives and policy documents to preparing our leaders for engagements with government officials or representing OpenAI in private and public forums.
We are looking for a self-directed and creative individual with experience managing relationships with both policymakers and international civil society groups, plus a sophisticated understanding of AI-related legislative and regulatory issues and processes in Ireland and across the EU.
This strategic yet hands-on role will report to the Head of European Policy & Partnerships and work closely with key internal and external partners.
This role is based in Dublin, Ireland and will require frequent travel to meet with key stakeholders. We offer relocation assistance to new employees.
You should thrive in this role if you:
- Are well versed in the issues around emerging AI technologies, and are eager to become conversant and confident enough to educate others.
- Are an enthusiastic and effective coalition builder, who enjoys working independently, but also thrives as a member of a high performing, peer-led global team.
- Are passionate about the promise of technology and the future of artificial intelligence but thoughtful about its potential risks.
We're looking for a blend of:
- Established network and credibility with Irish and international policymakers, regulators, civil society, and other stakeholders
- Deep experience in technology policy
- Sound judgment and outstanding personal integrity
- Ability to execute in fast and flexible environments through rapid cycles of analysis, decision, and action
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to convey complex technical and policy concepts to diverse audiences
- Strong strategic thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Irish and European Union policy-making system, institutions, and processes, and the key policy issues and debates related to AI
- Track record of effectively working with cross-functional teams, especially engineering and research teams, and aligning a diverse range of internal and external partners
- Genuine care and knowledge about the impact of technology on society
- Previous work on AI issues and technical AI development expertise a significant plus
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
This is a position with OpenAI Ireland Ltd., which controls the hiring and management of this position. Total compensation includes an annual salary, generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- PRSA plan with 6% employer matching
- Unlimited time off
- Annual learning & development stipend (€1,400 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.