Software Engineer, Security Data Platform
About the team
Security is at the foundation of OpenAI’s mission to ensure that artificial general intelligence benefits all of humanity.
The Security team protects OpenAI’s technology, people, and products. We are technical in what we build but are operational in how we do our work, and are committed to supporting all products and research at OpenAI. Our Security team tenets include: prioritizing for impact, enabling researchers, preparing for future transformative technologies, and engaging a robust security culture.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer you will join our OpenAI engineers and researchers in building, operating and securing transformational AI technologies. This role will be a transformational role on the Security Defense and Intelligence, working closely to support the Security Engineers on the team.
In this role, you will:
- Drive projects in all major security verticals including: AppSec, InfraSec, OffSec and Detection and Response
- Innovate to solve novel security problems
- Collaborate on cutting-edge AI research, and use AI to improve OpenAI’s Security posture
You’ll make an impact at OpenAI by:
- Innovating on Detection and Response infrastructure
- Build tools for managing the lifecycle of detection rules
- Develop, measure, and tune detection rules to ensure effective and sustainable operations.
- Automate manual response processes
- Ensuring visibility and control of OpenAI’s endpoint fleet (macOS, Windows)
- Driving improvements across identity access and management (IAM), device management, productivity software, and our use of public cloud environments (e.g. AWS, Microsoft Azure).
You may be a fit for this role if you have experience:
- Building and maintaining robust, reliable, secure and scalable data pipelines
- Working knowledge of operating systems primitives (Linux, macOS)
- Querying and enriching data using Spark
- Performance monitoring and autoscaling of cloud resources
- Programming in Golang, Python and/or Scala
- Working within Cloud Infrastructure and experience with either of Azure, AWS or GCP
- Creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture that makes all feel welcome while enabling radical candor and the challenging of group think
You may have:
- Experience using LLMs
- Experience with Databricks
- Built infrastructure using Terraform
- Experience with Kubernetes
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $230,000 – $370,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.